Wednesday, June 29, 2011

How do you know?

With tomorrow's promising ultrasound on the horizon, I've been wondering how people dealt with not knowing the gender of their baby until birth. I actually can't imagine it!

Here are some old wives' tales and other methods of "knowing":

The Ring Test: Tie your wedding ring to 12 inches of thread and dangle it over your belly. If it goes in circles = boy. Side to side = girl.

The Baking Soda Test:  Apparently you pee in a cup containing a tablespoon of baking soda. If it fizzes, it's a boy. If it doesn't, it's a girl.

Baby's Heart Rate: Above 140, and you have a girl, below and it's a boy.

Movement: I've been told this one both ways: more movement is a girl. Or it's a boy. And how do you determine more movement?

Morning Sickness: Another I've heard more than one way. More sickness is supposed to signify a girl. Or a boy. Or sickness in the morning = girl, night = boy. Or the opposite. So this one is out!

Stealing your beauty: This is a mean one. If you look like crap, it's because you're having a girl and she's stealing your beauty.

Hair: Do you need to shave your legs? If you suddenly find that you don't need to, you are having a girl. Or you paid a lot of money for laser hair removal.

Drano: This is bizarre. Apparently you add 2 tablespoons of clear Drano to a jar, then pee in the jar. Step back, as a horrible-smelling chemical reaction is said to take place, then observe. Did the liquid turn brown? Boy. Stay the same? Girl.

No thanks...

The Chinese Gender Chart: This mystical chart matches your age and month of conception with a gender prediction. Hint: it says boy for me. Click here to view.

Cravings: Supposedly, if you crave sweet things, you are having a girl. If you crave sour things, a boy. I don't know anyone who craves sour things. Sour-sweet candies? Sure. Lemon slices: (this was the example in my book) no. That's yucky. For the record I'm craving neutral things. Safe things, like carbs. :) I haven't wanted pickles or chips (salty) or cookies or cupcakes (yes I'm serious) or acidic things like tomatoes, and I think it's all because my stomach was so upset for so long. Sorry, folks.

Don't forget to take my poll, at right!

No comments:

Post a Comment