Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Monday randoms

Yeah so I know it's Tuesday, but these are some Monday happenings I wanted to write about.

To start my day, it was already like 150 degrees outside which was gross. Then I get a message from my brother asking me to drive him to the ER. Then I drop my garage door opener in the garage and it breaks and all the pieces roll away. I climb under my car (in a skirt) and find all but the battery. YES. That was the start of a very stressful day...

At home DJ came over to cut J's hair. It looks great, although his scars are a lot more visible which is just scary. He looks pretty mangled. I made nachos with a homemade nacho cheese sauce and it was A-mazing (if I do say so myself!) J hates the fake orange cheese sauce so he was hesitant to try this, but I think it won him over. I don't have a picture of it (let's admit--it's not photogenic) but I can post the recipe!

K's Nacho Cheese Sauce
     (because it's not your cheese)

2 tbl. unsalted butter
1 tbl. flour
1 C. milk (plus more if you want--I'll explain)
undetermined amount of cheese (I'll explain): Mexican blend and Pepper Jack
Chili powder
Paprika
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper

Start by melting the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Then add the flour and whisk until it combines to make a small amount of mush in the pan. Add about a cup of milk.  (Congrats! you've made a roux! This is a common sauce base for thick/white/cheese sauces).
I'm not gonna lie, I didn't measure ANYTHING in this recipe, so I'm pretty sure you'll survive if you don't, however, if you're especially cooking challenged, aim for about a cup, K? Whisk until it all combines and starts to thicken. You want the milk to be bubbling and breaking up the flour mixture.
Throw in some Mexican cheese (FYI this is a mixture of monterey jack and cheddar, and if you didn't already know that OMIGOD HOW ARE YOU MAKING QUESADILLAS?!). I used the super scientific method of about a handful and then some more. Then add some pepper jack. I probably used about a 1/4 C. and just kept throwing chunks in as I felt like it. It's nacho cheese, calm down.
Put in about a half a pinch (again very exact) of cayenne, paprika, chili powder, and cumin. [if you don't like some of those (my brother says cumin smells like BO) then don't use them. If you love others, use more. You have my permission]. Stir until warm and bubbly and serve over chips. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment