Monday, November 15, 2010

Football Night Dinner

Another successful football night dinner that I thought I'd share--and it was 99% completed by the time I walked out the door in the morning:

Healthy Half-Veggie Chili Bread Bowls!

It did require an exclamation point because it was delish!

We have all read the headlines about the environmental impacts of consuming meat, and I am a firm believer that we can cut down on our consumption with positive environmental and health results. Since I've never been much of a carnivore, this is particularly easy for me, but remember: I cook for J. J is a carnivore. Big time. So these meals have to be filling and hearty meat-free or meat-light meals.

Pretty much no one needs a chili recipe, but here is an overview of my low-meat alternative:

About .5-.75 lb. of ground beef for that beefy taste - 15% fat or less
About .3-.5lb of Morningstar Farms' soy crumbles (soy-made ground beef substitute that is low in calories and high in protein--and I swear no one will notice it!)
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 can chili beans
1 packet Tex-Mex seasoning
Chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic to taste
1 C (ish) frozen chopped onions
1/2 C. (ish) frozen chopped green pepper

I cooked the ground beef, drained the fat, and added the seasoning + water on the stove. When the seasoning was stirred in, I threw in the other frozen ingredients: soy crumbles, onions and bell pepper. Toss the roasted onions and beans in a crock pot, then stir in stovetop ingredients. Set to low and leave!

When I got home, I threw two sourdough bread bowls (purchased in the bakery section of the grocery store) in the oven to heat. I had already cut the "lids" and hollowed the insides. While they toasted, I threw together a simple lettuce, cherry tomato, feta cheese salad. I put out some light sour cream, shredded cheese, and cut avocado as my "toppings bar." At this point the bread bowls were toasty, I filled them with chili and we topped them as we pleased. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment